Sunday, March 7, 2010

Users and keepers...and other random stuff...

"Mommy, can I paint my nails?" a little voice asked me. Thinking what harm can be done, I answered back, "Sure honey, just be careful not to get your nail polish on stuff, ok?" "OK, thanks mom." my mouseling answered and away she went.  A little while later, she came to me, stuck out her hands and feet and with a big smile said, "How does it look?" "Beautiful!" I said, "Were you careful?"  "Yes mom. Well, I got a little bit on the toilet seat though."  Ok, no problem, I'm thinking...a little nail polish remover and all is well. So I get that cleaned up and think nothing more of the whole thing.  Everyone's happy.  Wellll......I went to strip the beds yesterday to do laundry and found a little red spot on the matress pad, it didn't occur to me what it was until I saw this....
and this...

Yes, that is red nail polish. It must have spilled and soaked the whole way through a fleece blanket, the quilt and sheets on her bed the whole way through!  Now, you're probably looking at that and thinking "Did you freak out or what?!?"  And honestly.....or what. This incident got me thinking on the whole why-I-make-quilts line of thought again.  This quilt was made for my daughter.  Yes, its hand quilted, but its far from perfect. Uneven stitches, puckering, seams coming apart in a couple places, even patched once, but she loves it. And loves that its on her bed, and isn't that the point? It is defintly one I would call a "user" quilt, (one that is made for being used) as opposed to a "keeper" (one that I have put a lot of time and effort into and that has special meaning enough that I don't want to see it ruined in any way and that I hope to pass to future generations). I remember hearing those terms used on Simply Quilts ages ago, and think they are something to keep in mind when making a new quilt. If its a keeper, I make sure its put up. If its a user, well, as soon as the binding is on, its on a bed, couch, table, etc and being used. I tend to make a lot more user quilts than keepers. I really enjoy seeing my quilts being used, so if it gets damaged a little, I honestly feel "so what" at least its loved and being used...that's one of my main goals.

Its been a bit of a slow weekend here, sewing wise anyway. I work all weekend and not until Sunday evening do I really get the chance to get some sewing done.  I did however get to make some progress on my postage stamp quilt along.  I am now up to 4 sections (I need 20 total) and am really excited about this project.  I'm still not crazy about the first section I made (the bottom left), its not nearly as random as the others... which I love...so I'm not sure it's going to end up in the finished quilt.  If it doesn't, it will probably end up as a throw pillow.
Finally, I did make it over to Jo-Anns yesterday. I wanted to pick up a brown fat quarter for the postage stamps. It never ceases to amaze me how when you think you have everything you'll need, you find out you have no fabric of one color you want to use. That's got to be one of those Murphy's Laws of Quilting.  I thought I had plenty of brown scraps...I didn't :c(  But on the way in I was greeted by the sweetest little girl scout selling cookies and couldn't resist. So I am going to be getting on my way to get some more done, but I want to share 3 things a lot of us could agree are essential for great sewing...coffee, a little something sweet and fabric (of course :cD) 

Hope you all have a great one! Warmest country wishes!!