Saturday, November 28, 2009

Ok, now I know I'm crazy ;)

Let me start by saying I had a very nice Thanksgiving. Lots of food, friends, family and laughs. Let me also say that, by nature, I am not a black Friday shopper...just too busy for me. I'd usually rather unwind at home and take it easy. Did you notice I said "usually"? I happened to get the Jo-Anns add in the mail on Wednesday, and.....well..... They were having a huge sale on flannel, just what I needed to back my string quilt! Now this is another quilt from before my LCE so it is on my list to get done, it's BIG 102 x 108 so I need about 9 yards of flannel, sooooo....I braved the crowds. What a time! I knew it was going to be busy, but I didn't realize just how busy. Here's the story. I got there and had a fairly easy time finding a parking spot, yeah! Then I walked in and saw the check out line...stretching all the way to the back of the store! YIKES!! "OK" I thought "just find your flannel, get your ticket for the cutting table and maybe it won't be that long" So I found some fabric (which I will share in the next post cause I'm a dork and forgot to download the pics to my computer) found the ticket reel and grabbed a ticket. The available cutter called out the next number, "F 92" I looked at my number "G 84" OH BOY!! I spent the better part of my wait time wandering up and down the isles, I changed my mind on the final backing fabric 4 times while I was waiting and found a couple prints for the back of baby quilts and some fleece for a throw as well. 90 minutes later my number was finally called. I was utterly amazed by the friendliness of the ladies cutting the fabric. They were cheery and so polite, very professional. I can only imagine how busy and hectic their day was! Now that I finally had my treasures I headed for the checkout...not as bad as I thought it would be :D 2 hours later I had the fabric I needed, and had spent about $25 for about $100 worth of fabric! Would I do it again? I don't know, but for this year at least, it was worth the trip!
I am, well, "done" with my kitty quilt...sort of. I got it quilted and bound, threw it in the washer, dried it, took a look at it and think I'm going to stitch some free form hearts in the kitty's bellies. They just look too puffy for me. I have also been working on the cathedral windows. I think I'm going to call it Charming Windows because it is my version of a charm quilt, no two windows the same. I promise to have pictures of all of these next post. I'm also getting some serious work done on my scrappy bargello. Its taken a bit longer because I decided to hand quilt it, but I love the way its turning out.
I am going to be on my way here, I think I am going to get that flannel in the washer and get working on that string quilt. Maybe I can get another finish yet this year :) Hope you all have a wonderful Saturday!! Warmest country wishes,
Country Mouse

1 comment:

QuiltedSimple said...

I went to the JoAnn's in Wooster yesterday - at about 3 it was EMPTY! And Wal-mart in Wooster was too at that time. Of course, Wal-mart was sold out of the good deals but ...... and the gingerbread cookies? Came from either Walmart, JoAnns or Kmart - they also had trees and houses to do.
Kris