Tuesday, November 17, 2009

finding happiness

Sometimes I think one of the most elusive things to find on the planet when you are facing difficult time is happiness. In the face of adversity there are so many things that can steal your joy. I know, trust me. These are the time I really try to step back and look at things. Sometimes when you are in the middle of a tough spot all you can see is more rough patches heading your way. Its kind of like in the book The Hobbit where they sent Bilbo up a tree when they were lost in the middle of the forest. When he got to the top all he could see was nothing but trees all around. They all thought all was hopeless and they would be lost forever. But had Bilbo been able to take a bird's eye view he would have seen that he had climbed a tree in the very center of a bowl shaped valley and that they were nearing the edge of the forest. Sometimes I try to remember I may just be climbing that tree at the middle of the bowl shaped valley and need to try to get that bird's eye view. I try to take joy in the simple things...a beautiful day, fresh air, knowing that I have a roof over my head, food in my belly and people who care about me. To remember that better things ARE on the way and I just need to persevere :)

Of course on of the things that I do to make me feel happy is sew ;) and I'm happy to report that I did reach my goal of getting a backing done and basting one quilt. It's not a big one, but it is one that is on my list of "get it done so you can move on" quilts. Here is a picture of the front and back. (I apologize for the picture quality. These are taken with my phone as I don't have a camera just yet. I know it can take better pictures, I just haven't played with the settings enough to quite figure them out yet.)




I've also been playing around with making jewelery too. These are two of the bracelets I've recently made. One is a bead work bangle and the other is made with semi-precious stone chips.


Although the last few days have been a bit tough, I know I am nearing the edge of that forest. I continue on, and make sure I make time for the people and the activities that bring me joy. I hope that all of you find that joy in your life that helps you on your journey as well. Warmest country wishes,

Country Mouse

2 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

You're getting there. That quilt is a great start - and the bracelets are lovely. Here's to some more joy filled days!
Kris

Scrappy-Quilter said...

take it one day at a time hun! find the joy and blessings in each day. Find time to destress with your quilting.