Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Maybe I'm just a little crazy, but....

I can't help but wonder. I was watching a quilting show on t.v. and my mind just started to wander, or maybe that should be wonder, and I just had to ask the question. Now let me start by saying that I love how technology helps us quilters. Being able to have a machine help you do embroidery, or to use one to quilt to help you finish your tops a bit quicker. (I personally machine quilt a lot of my quilts now because of my carpal tunnel, and have learned it takes a LOT of talent to machine quilt well! I'm still not there, but I keep working) Anyhow, the guest was talking about technological advances and how they make quilting quicker and easier, (here's the part that got me) able to get more done without having to do much work. Ok, maybe its just me, but I thought quilting was all about the process. Learning from your mistakes, practicing techniques, exploring the possibilities and finding your strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, and learning about yourself along the way. I love the journey I've been on since I've stared quilting. I still have lots of my "first tries" at home in a box to remind me just how far I've come. Let me tell you, my first attempt at hand applique was absolutely AWFUL!! lol :) But it was mine. Along with my first attempt at machine quilting, curved piecing and inset seams. I like looking back and seeing how far I've progressed. Now I'm not saying I won't incorporate machines to help me, but I hope I never rely on them to " get more done without having to do much work" Ok, enough from the crazy mouse there ;)
Now on to the category of "I probably shouldn't have, but did any way" here's my story.... Every year there is a quilt shop hop in Amish County, and living near enough by I visit several of the shops. Every year I go and think to myself, I'm just gonna get the free patterns, not buy any kits for blocks....and every year I walk in to the first shop, see the quilt made from that year's blocks and think, "Oooohhhhh, I have GOT to make this one" and cave and start buying kits :P Such was the case this year. Below is a picture of the kits I bought. The quilt is made with beautiful dark country colors. I just couldn't help myself. I am going to try to get at least one more quilt finished before I start making the blocks. Don't know if I'll be able to though, but I'm sure gonna try :)
Finally before I hop off here, I want to wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving. Make sure to count your blessings. I have learned in the last year, which has probably been one of the toughest I've ever had, that even when things seem bleak, there are still blessings to count. This is something I try to never forget. So with warmest country wishes to all, I am off to celebrate my favorite holiday of the year!
Country Mouse

1 comment:

QuiltedSimple said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you have a wonderful day filled with family (but not the ex because, well, he doesnt deserve you), friends and lots of eating!
Kris