Thursday, March 24, 2011

Easing back in

Hi all, I can't believe last week flew by!  Life never slows down, huh?  I actually got my sewing area a bit more organized last week so I could start sewing some more.  I was all excited as I started rearranging my supplies and getting things cleaned up, thinking about the projects I would be working on.  I really wanted to get my row by row started so I started looking through my fabrics then something kinda weird happened.  Now, I have been quilting for almost 10 years (wow, that number is big! can't believe I've been at it that long) and especially when I started, I was fearless about color.  I would look at all that fabric and just start grabbing it up, cutting and sewing things together.  I would make some choices that others would look at then comment, "Do you think that's going to work?".  I would look at my cut pieces, then at them, then simply reply, "Yup!!".  Well, as I was looking through my stash I actually felt....overwhelmed.  I froze.  I couldn't make those quick decisions.  I'm sure its just because I haven't been sewing much over the last year and it will pass, but it was one of the most surprising feelings for me.  So rather than starting the row by row, I went for something a little "easier".
Two years ago I did a shop hop and picked up these block kits, and they called out to me as something to ease back into sewing with since the colors were all chosen for me.  I figured that maybe if I worked with something that some of the work was done for me (color choice)  I could just relax, work on my cutting accuracy and seam allowances.  So I set to cutting and got these beauties done.



I got a fourth cut, but somehow I ended up with not enough of one color, so I either need to find a suitable substitute in my stash or find one at the fabric store.   I have also been working on my postage stamp quilt, which has thrilled my son because it is going to him when its done.  I'll post a picture of my progress on it soon.  After looking at my stash again, I have decided that some of the fabrics I have would be perfect for handbags, totes and other non-quilty things so I am making a list of those kinds of things I want to make as well.  So I see some real sewing in my future again :cD

I also realized this month is my one year knitaversary.  I am amazed at how far I've come in just a year when it comes to working with yarn.  I remember buying the teach yourself to knit book and posting my simple garter stitch swatch I had made with yarn that had been bought for poncho ties that I had laying around.  I have made toys, purses, hats, sweaters, and even socks (I never thought I would be able to learn to use double pointed needles!). 
 
 
 Here are just a few projects to see where I've come from and where I'm at now....

 

 


I've come a long way!!



------------ Non-quilt or yarn related content ahead------------------------------
I usually don't talk about much about how things were before my divorce.  I don't think you all come and visit me to read about any of that, and I don't want to be seen as a whiner or complainer.  Life happens, you make choices, you move on.  But I had something bring things back to mind that I just wanted to write down.  I have been hit with some spring cleaning fever (I figured I better take advantage of it since play-with-yarn fever or play-with-fabric-fever hits me FAR more often) and decided to get the kitchen clean from top to bottom.  I was mopping the floor when memories came flooding back.  I don't like mopping the floor for that reason.  When I was working on some of the stickier spots...floors get those, they are floors after all...I couldn't help but remember the times when a sticky spot like that would get a "this is why we don't deserve nice things, we can't keep what we've got nice" comment. Those words would rip at me every time I heard them.  I had tried my best to make my home a nice one.  It made me feel like I would never have any better, be any better, deserve any better.  Those kind of words hurt more than people realize, and usually come from people who think they're justified in stating them.  Its been hard for me to get to the point I am where I feel confident in who I am and what I am capeable of, all considered.   I took a moment after getting the floor done and just looked at it.  Not perfect, but nice and clean and much improved.  Then I took a moment and thought about where I am now and where I was a couple years ago.  And although the words that were ringing through my head the entire time I mopped brought back emotional pain I thought I was over, I realized that I was OK.  I can have better, be better and deserve better and I just need to remember that and continue to move forward.  And just know it will all work out the way its supposed to in the end.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to get on my way and jump back into the craziness that is my life, and will be back with more projects to share.  I hope you all find some time this weekend to do the things that make you happy...you deserve it!!  Warmest wishes!!
Country Mouse

2 comments:

julieQ said...

Warmest wishes to you!! We all have sticky floors at times, by the way...banish those bad memories, and hey...look at you! You mopped the floor! You are way ahead of me today, LOL!!! I sure love your scrappy approach to fabrics...yum!

Blogger said...

This way my buddy Wesley Virgin's report begins with this SHOCKING AND CONTROVERSIAL VIDEO.

You see, Wesley was in the military-and shortly after leaving-he found hidden, "SELF MIND CONTROL" secrets that the government and others used to get anything they want.

These are the exact same SECRETS lots of celebrities (notably those who "became famous out of nowhere") and elite business people used to become wealthy and famous.

You probably know how you use less than 10% of your brain.

That's mostly because most of your brainpower is UNCONSCIOUS.

Perhaps this expression has even occurred INSIDE OF YOUR own head... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's head around seven years back, while driving a non-registered, beat-up bucket of a vehicle with a suspended license and $3 in his bank account.

"I'm very fed up with going through life paycheck to paycheck! When will I get my big break?"

You took part in those types of conversations, right?

Your very own success story is going to start. Go and take a leap of faith in YOURSELF.

Learn How To Become A MILLIONAIRE Fast